CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A SERIOUS CONVERSATION WITH KEEGAN...


Before I begin -A little background about Keegan and his views on "getting babies". Last year when the kids in his class talked about one of their mommies having a baby in her belly, Keegan spoke up - with conviction - and said "Babies don't come from Mommies' bellies... They come from Guatemala!" This was so adorable! His teacher e-mailed me this, and Greg and I had a good chuckle. We explained to him that getting babies from China and Guatemala is one way, but sometimes mommies have babies in their bellies. (Shwew!)

Okay... back to the present... Last night while watching the Olympics Keegan (out of the blue) asked me what country David and Danielle were from. Well, I did the only thing I could do... I told Keegan that David and Danielle came from my BELLY! (Although at a C.H.I. picnic one time a lady asked if Danielle was from Russia!) This puzzled him quite a bit and I knew the difficult questions were coming - my heart began to beat a little harder.

"If babies grow in your belly, how do you get them out?" he asked then followed with a "Do they have to be cut out with a knife?"

I replied that sometimes a woman has to have surgery (that just sounds better than "cutting out with a knife") in order for the baby to be born (which sounds better than "getting them out"). Then I told him that babies are born (come out) at the hospital! I waited for a response. I looked at Greg - he looked at me. We waited...

"Did I come out at the hospital? Did I stay in the hospital like David?" (David was born 2 months early) "Was I healthy?" BANG BANG BANG...he fired those questions at me.

I explained to him that the lady who gave him birth had gone to the hospital when he was ready to be born (come out); that her belly was big because he was growing in there; that he was very healthy when he was born and was lucky that he did not have to stay at the hospital very long. Then I told him that his foster mother took him home with her and kept him safe and loved him until it was time for us to bring him home.

That did the trick and he was satisfied. I let out the breath I had been holding! :)

However (big change of subject here), he's struggling with something else this week and I would like to take a few minutes to ask for your prayers. We (his teacher, principal and Greg and I) have decided he's not quite ready for 1st grade yet. This was a very tough decision for all of us and especially for Keegan. He's come to terms with it, but (as is normal I'm sure) is worried a bit since all of his friends are going to 1st grade. I explained that they will still be his friends and he'll also make new friends this year.

Tonight we have open house for Kindergarten and we're going (even though we did this last year) because we want him to know that we are excited about Kindergarten this year! I know Keegan will eventually get excited again. But please pray for him. He's such a smart little guy! He's just amazing at times and we could not be more proud. Pray that he never feels less than what he is -a totally awesome, handsome, intelligent child of God who has totally blessed our lives!

1 comments:

dawn said...

Great job! You handled Keegan's questions well. It was frustrating that Dorsey was never around during the times of hard questions. I guess that is the blessing of having to work long hours so your wife can be a stay-at-home mom! Maybe he will get some hard questions from Cindy & Caterin!
I will be praying for Keegan and his school year. What a week you have had!
Dawn