At Coffee Plantation
Watching "Cars"
Playing with Poppy
Relaxing!
It's very hard to believe we have less than 2 days left before we leave! Everything has been wonderful!!!
First off, I'm sure you are all wondering about Otoniel... He is GREAT!!! Everything went smoothly at the embassy and he's officially ours. When they brought him to the hotel he was a little overwhelmed, nervous, sad, etc. His foster family stayed for a bit as we talked about him and thanked them. It was very sad when they left. Brenda (his foster mother) cried (which made me cry) and Alan (his foster brother) was crying as well. When Alan cried, everyone in the room was teary-eyed! My heart broke for them, but it was jumping for joy for me. It did not take him very long to stop crying and he immediately fell in love with "Poppy" and Keegan. Now it seems as if he's always been a part of our family!!! I'm completely in love with this little boy and thank God that he's finally with us!
He's getting along well with Keegan and Keeley and they are all already acting like normal brothers and sisters with words like "Otoniel's not sharing" and "that's mine!" (Otoniel says this in Spanish, though) But most of the time they play very well together even though they don't understand each other completely. It's amazing how Otoniel is mimicking words now like "Okay", "thank you", and "excuse me". He's corrected Keegan regarding the pronounciation of his name - too cute!
We've been very busy since we arrived. Monday night we finally met Gallo (our attorney). He showed up in the restaurant we were eating at in our hotel. What was truly amazing is that Caterin was with him! Caterin is the little girl our good friends,the Embrey's, are adopting. I was able to hand deliver the package her mom and dad had sent her for Christmas. She was adorable and I was happy to finally meet her since I've already met her sister, Cindy, in the states. I took pictures of her for her family. Please pray for her family and that she comes home soon!
Monday night the boys slept together and Keeley and I shared a bed. Otoniel hugged Keegan and kissed him. He says his name so cute!
Tuesday was our embassy appointment. Outside of our agency failing to make sure we had his Visa pictures, everything was perfect. Thank goodness Mayra was with us (Gallo failed to show). She knew where to get the photos taken and all was well. Tuesday we also left for Antigua. Otoniel got sick a couple of times along the way to Antigua. Poor guy! He gets car sick so easy. We finally made it after several stops. I absolutely love it here!!! I truly could live here. The weather has been 75 degrees every day and sunny. The kids were excited to see la casa! The house is beautiful but is not kid-proof! We have a young girl (Yoli)who has been coming to the house every evening to teach me how to cook authentic Guatemalan dishes. This meant that Bonnie and I got to go to the market with her to get all of the ingrediants. Very fun! They handle the meat a little different than we do in the states. Let's just say I doubt the health inspector would pass some of these (well, actually all of them) places! :)
Wednesday Greg and Jim went to Ciudad Vieja to help with the school there. They painted most of the day and had a great time. Bonnie and I stayed home with the kiddos. They did pretty good together but there was a bit of jealousy and Otoniel tested his boundries. I think he's starting to learn those. We've been very worried about one of the kids falling down the stairs in the house. They are very steep and dangerous looking! Did I mention the house isn't kid proof? Well, obviously the stairs aren't Felicia proof either! I took the only tumble down the stairs! I have bruises in quite a few places (mostly my rear and arm). OUCH!!! I think it must have scared the kids into being more careful around them!
Bonnie and I picked up Otoniel's visa at 3:30 in Guatemala City while Greg and Jim watched the kids. We ate dinner and all went to bed. Bed time has been great. Otoniel and Keegan usually crash pretty quick. Keeley talks a bit (she's been sleeping with Grandma and Grandpa). She's been a "horsey" most nights.
Thursday Greg, Jim and Keegan went to Ciudad Vieja to help tear down a wall there. Otoniel cried for "Poppy" when he left. He loves his "Poppy". The men were VERY dirty when they came home. Bonnie and I took Keeley and Otoniel to Pollo Campero (chicken restaurant), ate and let them play at the playground there. Yoli came to help me fix another dish. We were right in the middle of preparing dinner and ran out of gas for the stove. Thank goodness she knew who to contact. We finally got more delivered and ate around 9:00 p.m. The kids ate left overs from the night before (pasta in tomato sauce - spaghetti - one of the side dishes from Wednesday). :)
Today we all went to tour a coffee plantation and monastery. Both were very interesting. This monastery was built in the 1500's and is still in use today. It was beautiful! We also went to a market in another city to purchase some Guatemalan clothing.
Now that we're back at the house, I'm very excited to have the internet working! The boys are playing (giggling and running outside), Keeley is sleeping, Bonnie and Jim went to the market to get more meat for tonight, and Greg is relaxing (although every now and then I hear him say "slow down!" :) Things are kind of normal! :)
Tomorrow we are going to Ciudad Vieja to help with the feeding program there. We're looking forward to this. This will be the last night in this house - tomorrow we're headed back to Guatemala City for our last night in Guatemala. Our flight leaves at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, but we won't make it to Kansas City until after 9:00 p.m. We have a VERY long layover in Houston because I didn't want to ride in one of the smaller airplanes - I only feel safe in the big ones! I will probably never hear the end of this one!
I'm kind of sad that we will be leaving Guatemala shortly, but can't wait to get Otoniel home and adjusted. I know we will have a few transition issues, but know that we will overcome them all.
He's a very generous little boy (greeted Keeley with a kiss this morning when she walked into the kitchen) and is very good about sharing his food with others. He's got a little bit of a cough, but it seems to be getting better. He coughs a lot when he runs and in the morning. I'll feel better when we get him in for a physical and have him checked out completely. :)
I thank God so much for this little boy. It's been quite a journey but has been worth every minute of it!
Thank you God!!!
First off, I'm sure you are all wondering about Otoniel... He is GREAT!!! Everything went smoothly at the embassy and he's officially ours. When they brought him to the hotel he was a little overwhelmed, nervous, sad, etc. His foster family stayed for a bit as we talked about him and thanked them. It was very sad when they left. Brenda (his foster mother) cried (which made me cry) and Alan (his foster brother) was crying as well. When Alan cried, everyone in the room was teary-eyed! My heart broke for them, but it was jumping for joy for me. It did not take him very long to stop crying and he immediately fell in love with "Poppy" and Keegan. Now it seems as if he's always been a part of our family!!! I'm completely in love with this little boy and thank God that he's finally with us!
He's getting along well with Keegan and Keeley and they are all already acting like normal brothers and sisters with words like "Otoniel's not sharing" and "that's mine!" (Otoniel says this in Spanish, though) But most of the time they play very well together even though they don't understand each other completely. It's amazing how Otoniel is mimicking words now like "Okay", "thank you", and "excuse me". He's corrected Keegan regarding the pronounciation of his name - too cute!
We've been very busy since we arrived. Monday night we finally met Gallo (our attorney). He showed up in the restaurant we were eating at in our hotel. What was truly amazing is that Caterin was with him! Caterin is the little girl our good friends,the Embrey's, are adopting. I was able to hand deliver the package her mom and dad had sent her for Christmas. She was adorable and I was happy to finally meet her since I've already met her sister, Cindy, in the states. I took pictures of her for her family. Please pray for her family and that she comes home soon!
Monday night the boys slept together and Keeley and I shared a bed. Otoniel hugged Keegan and kissed him. He says his name so cute!
Tuesday was our embassy appointment. Outside of our agency failing to make sure we had his Visa pictures, everything was perfect. Thank goodness Mayra was with us (Gallo failed to show). She knew where to get the photos taken and all was well. Tuesday we also left for Antigua. Otoniel got sick a couple of times along the way to Antigua. Poor guy! He gets car sick so easy. We finally made it after several stops. I absolutely love it here!!! I truly could live here. The weather has been 75 degrees every day and sunny. The kids were excited to see la casa! The house is beautiful but is not kid-proof! We have a young girl (Yoli)who has been coming to the house every evening to teach me how to cook authentic Guatemalan dishes. This meant that Bonnie and I got to go to the market with her to get all of the ingrediants. Very fun! They handle the meat a little different than we do in the states. Let's just say I doubt the health inspector would pass some of these (well, actually all of them) places! :)
Wednesday Greg and Jim went to Ciudad Vieja to help with the school there. They painted most of the day and had a great time. Bonnie and I stayed home with the kiddos. They did pretty good together but there was a bit of jealousy and Otoniel tested his boundries. I think he's starting to learn those. We've been very worried about one of the kids falling down the stairs in the house. They are very steep and dangerous looking! Did I mention the house isn't kid proof? Well, obviously the stairs aren't Felicia proof either! I took the only tumble down the stairs! I have bruises in quite a few places (mostly my rear and arm). OUCH!!! I think it must have scared the kids into being more careful around them!
Bonnie and I picked up Otoniel's visa at 3:30 in Guatemala City while Greg and Jim watched the kids. We ate dinner and all went to bed. Bed time has been great. Otoniel and Keegan usually crash pretty quick. Keeley talks a bit (she's been sleeping with Grandma and Grandpa). She's been a "horsey" most nights.
Thursday Greg, Jim and Keegan went to Ciudad Vieja to help tear down a wall there. Otoniel cried for "Poppy" when he left. He loves his "Poppy". The men were VERY dirty when they came home. Bonnie and I took Keeley and Otoniel to Pollo Campero (chicken restaurant), ate and let them play at the playground there. Yoli came to help me fix another dish. We were right in the middle of preparing dinner and ran out of gas for the stove. Thank goodness she knew who to contact. We finally got more delivered and ate around 9:00 p.m. The kids ate left overs from the night before (pasta in tomato sauce - spaghetti - one of the side dishes from Wednesday). :)
Today we all went to tour a coffee plantation and monastery. Both were very interesting. This monastery was built in the 1500's and is still in use today. It was beautiful! We also went to a market in another city to purchase some Guatemalan clothing.
Now that we're back at the house, I'm very excited to have the internet working! The boys are playing (giggling and running outside), Keeley is sleeping, Bonnie and Jim went to the market to get more meat for tonight, and Greg is relaxing (although every now and then I hear him say "slow down!" :) Things are kind of normal! :)
Tomorrow we are going to Ciudad Vieja to help with the feeding program there. We're looking forward to this. This will be the last night in this house - tomorrow we're headed back to Guatemala City for our last night in Guatemala. Our flight leaves at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, but we won't make it to Kansas City until after 9:00 p.m. We have a VERY long layover in Houston because I didn't want to ride in one of the smaller airplanes - I only feel safe in the big ones! I will probably never hear the end of this one!
I'm kind of sad that we will be leaving Guatemala shortly, but can't wait to get Otoniel home and adjusted. I know we will have a few transition issues, but know that we will overcome them all.
He's a very generous little boy (greeted Keeley with a kiss this morning when she walked into the kitchen) and is very good about sharing his food with others. He's got a little bit of a cough, but it seems to be getting better. He coughs a lot when he runs and in the morning. I'll feel better when we get him in for a physical and have him checked out completely. :)
I thank God so much for this little boy. It's been quite a journey but has been worth every minute of it!
Thank you God!!!






9 comments:
Hi Felicia,
Thought I'd check your blog tonight and was so happy to hear all the wonderful news!!! I am so thrilled for all of you - what a journey you have been through. The pictures were really fun to see. :)It sounds as if things are wonderful -have a safe trip home and Congratulations!!!!
Hugs, Renee
Huff family-
I have been checking daily for any updates. I really miss seeing Keegan and all of the kids know where he is and why he is gone. They have begun to remind me during attendance! funny!
I am so happy to hear that your trip has been so wonderful. The pictures were amazing and ALL of you look so happy! Can't wait to see you all!
Love,
Tara
Hooray for the internet! I am thrilled to see your pictures! I love the one in the hammock! Can't wait until your home!! See you Sunday!
Dawn
I have been thinking about you guys SOOO much this week and was so excited to see your post. Can't wait to see you all Sunday night!!! Enjoy your last days in Guatemala and tell Mayra we said HOLA :).
Emily
You have me crying!!! I am so happy for you guys and can't wait until I see the homecoming pictures! Sounds like your trip is so much fun...makes me want to be there too!
PS~I know all about that little plane...we are trying to avoid it too!!!
Wow, how fun and busy!!!! Sounds like you all are adjusting well!!! I am so jealous of your cooking classes! What a neat idea to rent a house and get outside of Guatemala City! Thanks for sharing your trip!
Kayla
P.S. Tell Mrs. Bonnie we said, "Hi!" She was such a joy on our China adventure.
Yeah! Almost home...finally a family of 5!
Love,
Alissa and family
See you in a few short hours! God is SO GOOD!
Congratulations on your new little boy! I am sure your house will be full of even more energy and excitement now. :)
Post a Comment