CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 12, 2009

FINALLY HOME!

We're HOME!!! We landed at the airport around 9:10 p.m. last night with a crew waiting for us! It was so awesome to see so many people there. Otoniel is one lucky little boy! So many people care so much for him already!!!

Waiting for Otoniel's arrival...
Can you tell the boys are a little tired? Keeley was tired too. She refused to have her picture taken. What a sweet little boy!


It was great to get to "la casa" last night. We made it home with only one stop - Otoniel gets car sick VERY easy. Luckily he had this amazing car (cough cough) that a dear friend had brought for him at the airport. When you press the button, it plays "Who Let the Dogs Out?" and that kept him occupied most of the way home. Greg and I chuckled each time Otoniel sang "Who Let the Dogs Out... Who?WHO?WHO?" (even when the car wasn't playing). Pretty cute! However, the car is not as cute today. We've heard it quite a bit!!! :)

When we pulled into our drive way he perked up! He was very excited to see "mi casa". I'm not so sure he likes the cold. Poor guy was shivering even with his winter coat, gloves and hat on.
When we got inside I showed him the Christmas presents Santa had left for him. He ripped through them pretty quickly and played with everyone of them. He took a brief tour of the house and then it was time for bed. It was right around midnight. He fell asleep pretty fast - it was a very busy day for him.

He woke up this morning ready for his new adventure. He went through every room in the house and got excited over the littlest things! It was so much fun seeing everything through his eyes. He'd find something and I'd hear "MAMA!!!" or "POPPY" and he would come and find us to show us his latest treasure! VERY AWESOME!!!

He's still testing boundaries, but we are making progress. Tonight we took him to Keegan's basketball practice. He was having the time of his life until it was time for practice to actually start. I ended up taking him and Keeley with me for a drive until practice was over. However, it took Greg to help get him in the car. Not that he was throwing a temper tantrum, it was just that he was still "playing" the "you chase me" game, and I couldn't get him and Keeley in the car at the same time. We have to work on his listening skills and my Spanish!!! When we returned to the school to pick up Poppy and Keegan, he began fussing to get out of his car seat (not a huge fan of his car seat). I explained that we would have to leave if he didn't quit (or at least I hope that is what he heard since my Spanish is not very good). He kept fussing (more like screaming than fussing), so I started to drive away. He cried for his Poppy and we drove back and I parked. He was fine after that and we sang songs and listened to a learning CD. He loves music. He was very happy to see Poppy and Keegan when they got in the car.

Tonight at bedtime was totally amazing. After I gave the kids a bath, Greg read a story to them and they said their prayers (Otoniel is very good at praying before his meals and at bedtime). After my bath, I went to the boys' room and gave them each a kiss with my normal "Sleep Sweet, Mommy loves you" that I say every night to my children. When I made my way to Otoniel, I bent down and he put both of his arms around me and gave me the tightest hug. I kissed him and said "I love you" (first in Spanish, then in English) and he said "I love you" (in English) right back. He said it so clearly and it was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. I yelled for Greg and he said it again - this time to Greg. WHAT A FEELING!!!

Now as I'm writing this, my heart is still singing. I'm not going to sugar coat everything and say that there hasn't been any "rough" spots in this entire first week we've had together. But they haven't been horrible and we've expected much worse. He has his moments, but what child doesn't? Keegan is a bit jealous, but this is normal. We just make sure he knows he's loved and tell him we are very proud of him because we know this is hard on him. Keeley is very motherly toward him but at moments wants to be held and babied. This is normal too - I just make sure she knows she will always be my little princess! They argue over wanting the same toy, over who has more "Cheetos" and who's not sharing a certain something (whatever it is at the time) - but what siblings do not do this? He's been a little ornery, but what child isn't? He's all boy and will probably destroy many a toy before he learns how to properly handle things, but that's okay. My house will probably always look as if a tornado has blown through and at times I will feel as if one really did (there's a huge difference between two and three children!) The important thing is that we are all learning to adjust, he is loved, and we are very happy he's our son.

Tonight Keeley asked me "Otoniel is going to be with us forever, right Mommy?" I responded with "Yes". She said "Good!"

Good indeed! :)

Thank you God!

Keeley and Otoniel playing with their rollie pollies.


Keegan and Otoniel going on one of our walks in Antigua.

7 comments:

Pat and Lee Anne said...

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!! To read this post is music to my ears, an answer to prayer, etc., etc. I hated not being there last night at the airport as Erick was sick but CAN'T WAIT TO SEE OTONIEL SOON! I'm glad Lee Anne could go. It killed me not being able to be there too. When things settle down we'd love to come by and have Erick play with the kids. We love your son as he will definitely always hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you God for bringing Otoniel HOME! Pat

Kimberly said...

I am so happy that things are adjusting. I can only imagine how crazy it is at times, but also how heavenly! I am just SO happy for you! Otoniel is just as cute as ever!

Living the Good Life said...

Sounds like everything is going great! It is so awesome to see you all together. My house always looks like a tornado blew through. There is no HOPE! We have company here next week and I hope I can at least get the house presentable. They are in their 30's and no kids. HEHE! They may not want kids when they leave here.
Kayla

Armstrong's said...

I'm so excited that my car gift made the blog :). All I can say is that now we're even (and I bet that car's batteries die way before the guitar you bought Samuel!!). We are SO glad Otoniel is home! I got goosebumps reading this! Jimmy would say I'm over my exclamation point limit... so I'll just end. Good to see you guys today :)

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR Y'ALL!!! I am so glad your sweet boy is HOME for good!! Thank you Lord!!

bargefamily3 said...

I'm so excited to hear this great news!!! I had no idea that you all even had a date to bring him home. That is great, congrats again!! :)

The Heinrichs said...

YEAH you are finally home!!! I am beyond excited for you and your family!!! I can't believe all the kids are starting to come home one by one..although it would have been even better if we all could have been there together and maybe six months ago!!!

Hugs~Deanna